FUNDACIÓ CATALANA SÍNDROME DE DOWN 14/06/2018
Normality and equality should be the reference for the treatment of people with Down Syndrome or other intellectual disabilities.
For this reason, Dinners That Matter and the Catalan Down Syndrome Foundation are collaborating with the goal of highlight a little-known reality. One that on occasions breaks from pre-established perceptions on the reality of people with Down Syndrome (or another intellectual disability) and their families.
Raising awareness and educating our community with regards to this ‘reality’ will encourage everyone to engage in the very enriching task of normalization and social inclusion!
Our objective: Support for the new Nursery
On 14 June 2018, go out to dinner, enjoy good food, smile, share unique moments with friends and help us expand this nursery!
The Foundation is changing and innovating at the same pace as society, adapting to its new realities and needs. We have identified the need for parents to be able to have new meeting spaces where they can also take their children.
So we have created a nursery – a welcoming meeting space for parents who have children with Down Syndrome aged 0-5 years. A dynamic space to cultivate relationships and exchanges, where parents feel supported and active protagonists in the nursery.
The Nursey will:
- Encourage and promote contact between families who have children with Down Syndrome of similar ages, so that they can share and learn from each other.
- Reinforce the bond between parents and children.
- Offer recreational activities (games, material, songs, etc..) that families can also do at home.
- Offer suggestions and advice on the evolution of children with Down Syndrome.
- Accurate monitoring of the evolution of children and their families.
- Be alert for possible warning signs and make the appropriate referral and / or follow-up.
In the new Nursery, meetings will be held every two weeks, and parents will always have the support of expert professionals both in child development in general as well as specifically for those with Down Syndrome.
This project contributes to reducing the anxiety that many families can feel in their role as parents of a child with Down Syndrome, while helping to create a favorable climate for parents and children to enjoy playtime and relaxation, which will help in fostering a positive bond between them.
The physical space
The project’s design is handled by the Family Services Department of the Foundation, with the collaboration of all its professionals with experience in early childhood care of those with Down Syndrome.
We want this space to become a practical reference in which parents feel welcomed, listened to and cared for by specialized professionals who will answer their doubts and concerns regarding areas such as nutrition, health, psychomotricity, communication and language, cognitive development and creation of the affective bond.
The Foundation has carried out a project to prepare a space that accommodates 30 boys and girls, between 0 – 6 years old.
THE CATALAN DOWN SYNDROME FOUNDATION
The Foundation is a private, non-profit organization established on March 30, 1984 and became a public entity on October 24 of the same year.
Its mission is to improve the quality of life of people with Down Syndrome or other intellectual disabilities, making their total inclusion into society possible, and achieving the highest degree of dignity, respect, self-determination and well-being.
The entity also supports families from prenatal diagnosis and birth to adulthood.
– Work to improve the quality of life of people with Down Syndrome or other intellectual disabilities
– Being an organ of study and research in the medical, psychological, pedagogical and social fields
– Expand and improve all those services that respond to the social, personal and family demands of those with intellectual disabilities
Will you help us?
DTM and the Catalan Down Syndrome Foundation